Skip to main content

Children's Loss of Global Proportions

Almost one year ago (December 23, 2005) we tried to clear customs at Chennai port for a container full of donated items I had collected from my neighbors and the community for the children of Shanti Bhavan school. One of the items was one dozen small Globes donated by a crippled young lady I have known for years, and who is always thinking of our children at the school.

Well, the customs officer confiscated the Globe, saying that it doesn’t clearly show Indian and Pakistan controlled Kashmir. Well, India itself is hardly 2 inches in size on this small children’s educational globe my friend had purchased from a local school supply shop. There isn’t much space for such details, and after all, this is not about geo-politics. The officer tells us that he has been instructed to check all maps and globes shipped from abroad!

Are we a paranoid nation that doesn’t trust our own people’s judgment? To what extend do we go in such matters?

By the way, the items for which customs duty is charged include used children’s bikes, used classroom chairs, rejected paint in cans (when paint shops make mistakes when adding color, and customers reject), etc.

There is no use explaining that these used/donated items are for children from among the poorest families in the world. I guess the government (current and all past) has good reasons for these regressive policies. There are many crooks among us!

Further, we are a proud nation now to receive donations. Why can’t you buy them in India?

Please visit us at www.tgfworld.org and www.indiauntouched.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Solutions to the Rural Education Crisis

It seems many people are trying to find innovative solutions to improving the quality of education in rural areas, especially among the poor. Since most rural children study at government-run schools, the focus of any effort to improve quality and performance must be on those institutions. Without waiting for the state government to act, NGOs can directly interact with the administrators of those schools, especially the headmasters, and village leaders to implement measures that can yield positive results. That is precisely what The George Foundation has been doing since 2004 in the 17 villages surrounding its own school, Shanti Bhavan.

Three years ago our foundation initiated a community development plan that included working with government-run schools in our area. Deverapalli Government School was the first one we took on, and within two years of starting the program, it was judged as the “best” in the district by the educational authorities. Based on this project and our Shanti Bha…

A Second Front

It has been quite a while since I wrote my last blog. For some reason, I had concluded that there wasn’t enough readership interest in my personal notes and critiques of the country’s system. But recently, a friend of mine who stumbled upon my earlier blogs urged me to continue. Moreover, I had promised in my last blog to write about my experiences as an artillery officer along India’s western border with Pakistan, but I hadn’t kept my word. So finally I made up my mind to venture into writing blogs once again. My medical leave following the dynamite explosion in which I was injured while at Se La Pass was to last six weeks. I had returned home to Trivandrum sufficiently frost bitten to have my large ear lobes and nose turn dark, and skin pealing like a snake’s scales. It was a central topic in several hilarious conversations with guests when they visited our home, and I had a lot of stories to tell about my adventures in the snow-covered mountains of the Himalayas. Everyone wanted to …

Rape, Incest and Other Contradictions

The recent Delhi rape incident has elevated national attention about nonconsensual sex and violence.There is no doubt that most reasonable people disapprove sexual violence against women. Yet, the picture about what constitutes rape is not clear in India. The subject is further complicated without any legal guidance on incest.
For the starter, let me briefly describe the laws in India. Marriage for girls is permitted after 18 (except Muslim girls who may marry at 15) and 21 for boys.  But many underage marriages take place, and the government does not intervene. Sex with a “minor wife” below the age of 15 is punishable. But no one bothers if a man marries a girl below 15 as long as the couple does not disclose that they had sex with each other.
There is no law in India concerning incest, often described as having sex between a parent and a child, or between siblings. If one is to believe ancient Indian writings, incest was not very uncommon. Today in India, sex with a close relative gir…